s Labor - Youth Exemptions
Protection of life, health, safety, and welfare of Arizona’s most valuable assets

Location of
Public Meeting Notices

2016 Wage Info
•  AMW Statutory Max - $4,428.91

•  Arizona Minimum Wage - $8.05
(no change from 2015)

•  Get Info:2015 Az Minimum Wage
•  Get Info:2016 Az Minimum Wage
•  Get Info:2015 Az AMW Max
•  Get Info:2016 Az AMW Max

Job Opportunities
at the ICA

Public Notices

Recent News & Events

Labor Department

Karen Axsom, Director
Email: LaborAdmin@azica.gov
Phoenix: 800 W Washington St, Phoenix AZ 85007 - Phone: (602) 542-4515
Tucson: 2675 East Broadway, Tucson AZ 85716 - Phone: (520) 628-5459

Click for Phone List of ICA Divisions

Except for youths under the age of 16 working in the manufacturing and mining industries, the Occupational Restrictions are exempt under the following conditions:
  • When youths are employed by a parent or relative and that person owns at least 10% of the company and is actively engaged in the daily operation of the organization.

    Federal Child Labor Law does not provide for a parental exemption from occupational restrictions. Under federal law however, there is a parental exemption for the number of hours a youth may work.

  • When youths are employed as stars or performers in motion picture, theatrical, radio or television productions, provided the Department is notified in advance.

  • When youths are employed in career education programs, vocational or technical training school programs. These programs must be recognized programs under the Department of Education pursuant to Title 15, Chapter 7, Article 5.

  • When youths are employed as apprentices and registered by the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training.

  • When youths are employed under the 4-H Federal Extension Service or the United States office of education vocational agriculture training programs.

  • When youths have completed vocational or career education programs approved by the Department of Education in which the programs are directly related to the prohibited occupation.

  • When youths are legally married.*

  • When youths have a high school diploma or its equivalent.*
*Please Note: The exemptions for marriage and high school diplomas or its equivalent are not recognized exemptions under the Federal Child Labor Laws.